Motivation

Motivation

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Team Zoot GU 2008!

Well, I'm officially a semi-sponsored athlete for 2008. Semi-sponsored, because I will be paying someone to sponsor me. GU Sports in 2007 had a deal where, for about $200, you got 4 48-pack cases of sports gel, some powdered sports drink, bottles, other accessories, and a tri-top and tri-shorts. I heard about this, and thought, hey, that's not a bad deal for all that gear! Retail price of all that stuff is over $500.

So, I applied to be on the 2008 team, knowing that more folks had heard about this deal and would want to be "part of the team" as well. Well, whaddayaknow? I made the cut. I've been a Hammer Heed user on the bike for a couple of years, primarily due to that's what my fellow Team BNB members have used and let me try, but have preferred GU gels on the bike and run more than any other gel, so I was pretty much sold on those. I usually use one per hour on the runs, so, during marathon training and racing, which can include 650 miles or more, at 8 minute average miles, that's 87 gels to be consumed. Just training for one marathon.

Just buying gels, which I am sure I will use all of them this year, would cost $256. So, I'm spending $199 up front, getting about half a season's worth of Gu, 2 canisters of Gu2O (GU's version of Heed), lots of water bottles, gel flasks, gel flask bike mount, socks, visor, tritop, trishorts, and other deals (discounts on additional Gu products, as well as discounts on Zoot products).

I'm trying to find the disadvantage here...
My responsibilities:


  • To represent the Zoot and GU brands with a positive attitude and enthusiastic spirit

  • To act as a passionate ambassador for the sport of triathlon at large

  • To exhibit exemplary conduct at all reace venues in regards to fellow athletes, race officials, spectators, and community members

  • To wear my Team Zoot GU uniform in all triathlon and duathlon races, and other events where appropriate

  • To train and race with GU Energy Gel and GU2O Sports Drink (except where unrealistic due to other brands being served on course)

  • To refrain from promoting competitive products

  • To have as much fun as possible while doing all the above!

So, I'll try to keep you updated on how things go in training for the events listed on this site, as well as the results of said events.


Today's workout: 1000m swim at lunch, long bike ride this afternoon (40mile)

No comments: