Motivation

Motivation

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Time for my semiannual blog update...

Man, am I slack.  I really think I should pick this back up again, because it is therapeutic to put thoughts to "paper".

So 2012 ended up being a great racing year, probably my best one to date.  I just had a great time all around, and I dabbled in duathlons with some mild success.

In February '12, I did the Charlotte Duathon (in Waxhaw, actually), and ended up on the podium with a 3/13 AG finish.  It was a long drive for a short race, but the podium was worth it!

In March, I drove to Greenville for the first time, getting WAY lost on the way, showing up to the race site with 25 minutes until the start.  Raced purely on adrenalin and ended up 1/7 AG, just before the bottom fell out with rain.

In April, I tried out my long-course duathlon legs on Cary's course, and ended up off the podium with a 4/14 effort.  I had a good run day, but a tough bike day.

In late April, I did the Riverwood sprint triathlon, and earned my first triathlon podium ever, with a 1/14 AG win.  That was very cool, and Marshall ran across the finish line with me!

All this racing was in prep for the May's IOS100, a 100-mile triathlon in Washington, NC, to which I had won an entry at the FS Series Christmas Party in December '11.  

That weekend deserves a blog post of its own, and I think I will go back and enter one, for it was just a great weekend of racing and exploring our beautiful state.  I ended up 4/7 AG on that one with a mediocre swim, a fair bike, and an okay run.

I took a good bit of time off racing and just had a fun summer.  I started to get back down to business in August, as I had registered for the Finish Strong Half-iron triathlon at Jordan Lake.  In prep for that, and as a fundraiser for 519 Church, I did the 519 Hearts for Haiti 10k a week prior to the 70.3.  I ended up finishing 1/19 AG, and 3/120 overall, setting a 10k PR of 41:04.  I was well pleased.

The next weekend was the FS Half.  I had thoughts of sub-5:30 for this race.  My last HIM was White Lake '08, where I blew up on the run going 5:44.  Imagine my surprise when I was out of the water in 31:00 (very short swim sadly)!  Then I laid down a 2:51 on a hilly bike course.  Then I strung together a 1:42:30 on a HOT run course, for an overall 5:07:17.  Normalized to a full-length swim course, I would have expected a 5:20 with the rest of my times staying as they were.

And then this began a short layoff period before building into 2013...Charleston Marathon!

That will be another blog post.

No comments: