Motivation

Motivation

Monday, June 21, 2010

A week later, 20 degrees cooler, and a better day

I had a tough schedule at work this week, which bunched my run days into Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  Wednesday was 7 miles, Friday 8, Saturday a 2.8 mile fun run, and Sunday was a long 11.5+.  My route for Sunday was Old Reedy Creek Road to the bike/bridle trail, then bearing left down Cedar Ridge, across Turkey Creek, then taking South Turkey Creek b/b trail back to Reedy Creek, back to home.  I had a sluggish start (6am after a night of fellowship), but it felt nice out.  Very humid, but nice.  Descending Cedar Ridge, I SO felt like I was in the NC mountains...right here in Wake County.  Such a neat feeling, and varied landscape on that short 1.4 mile descent.  Go run it.  Or walk it, or bike it.  But go see it.

Then forded the creek, turned around, and took in nature's beauty along that creek.  Quite pretty that time of day (just before 7am).  Got back to the task at hand of running up South Turkey.  Just kinda slugging along through here, finally saw another runner on his way towards N. Turkey.  Kept on hoofing it, swatting horseflies ever 15 seconds...

Got up to the water fountain, replenished the Nathan, took a Gu Jet Blackberry, and was on my way.  Headed on down Corkscrew and up to Graylyn/Reedy.  Debated (briefly) adding a trip down to Company Mill, but didn't as I was already behind on time (had to stop for gas on the way to run).  Cemetery for once was not daunting.  I started thinking about riding my bike while running up Cemetery, and time just flew by.  I've also thought about running up Heartbreak Hill at times, which also helps here (I thought about running up Cemetery while running up Heartbreak so turnabout is fair play).

A nice run once it was done, and headed back home to be surprised by my family with a brand-new Keurig single-cup coffeemaker, blueberry pancakes and sausage, and numerous cards and gifts.  Wonderful father's day for me!

No comments: