Motivation

Motivation

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Know your limits, and be prepared

Thunderstorms in the area last night kept our dog up, which keeps me up.  It allowed me to update this blog, but it also caused me to not wake up again in time to get in my long run for the week before Church/morning family time.  So, I pushed my run to the afternoon.  1pm, to be precise.  1pm, in 94F, 95% humidity, 100+ heat index, heat.  My route was shaded, and wooded, which is nice, but also not very breezy, and over 1000 feet of climbing.  I have run this route dozens of times before with some variation in pace, but it is usually a manageable, enjoyable run.

Today was just downright brutal.  Normally, I can run this with a 24 oz. hand bottle, topping it off at one (or both) of the water fountains in Umstead.  Today, I ran with my 4-bottle Fuel Belt, 2 Gu gels, and my cell phone.  I never run with my cell phone.

All was good for the first hour or so, until I came upon the steep hill on North Turkey Creek.  Normally, I'm cresting the hill right at the 1 hour mark.  Today, I was quick through the Trenton gate point, but started purposely slowing down on South Turkey Creek, heading towards North Turkey.  When I got to the bottom of the big climb at 1 hour, the wheels started to fall off.  I walked up that hill.  I never walk up that hill.  And it just got worse from then on.

I got back to mile 11.5 or so (the top of Cemetery Hill) when a mountain biker rode past me.  He looked at me as he rode by, said "are you okay?  Do you have enough water?"  I must've REALLY looked bad, because he took the time to ask that as he was climbing that steep-a$$ hill!  I replied that I had a bit left, and that I could make it to the water fountain ahead.  He again offered me his water bottle, and waited for me to crest the hill to offer me again.  That was very thoughtful, and I thought about taking him up on it, but I pressed on. 

When I finally got to the water fountain, I filled up everything I had.  I soaked my head with the garden hose, getting thoroughly soaked head to toe in the process.  My core temp must've been high, as my sweating was slowing down, and I had goose bumps.  I pulled out my cell phone and called Lainey, letting her know that I was well behind pace and struggling, and that I was going to take it extremely easy from there on in.

I covered the last 2 miles at a snail's pace, and by the time I got back to the car, had started sweating again, meaning I had enough water back in me to sweat.

I learned a few things today; 1) I'm too old for this crap.  94+ is nothing to mess around with. 2) Pick an easy course if you must run on a hot day. 3) Take your normal water consumption rate for an 80 degree day and double it for every 10 degrees above that...

When does Fall start again?

2 comments:

scottie said...

dang man...it was awful out there. I rode 30 mi at big woods and the breeze was a HOT breeze! The moment we'd stop my body would gush sweat...next time that happens, just walk to my house...i have beer =)

triblog carol said...

I had the same experience yesterday. Ran at 2pm in horrid conditions, not enough water, and I walked three times during a 3 mile run. I NEVER walk. I should try Umstead sometime...water fountains, how nice! I wish the ATT had some of those.