Motivation

Motivation

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Chase run=free fun!!

My good friend and training buddy Paul extended an offer a few months ago for me to join him on a "chase run" that his coach puts on every 4th Tuesday.  The premise is simple: you submit your anticipated time to run a set distance, and do your best to hit that time.  The course is either a 4-mile or 4.75 mile out/back along the Black Creek Greenway near Umstead Park.  I went fairly aggressive with a 30:29 goal (6:25 pace) for this distance.  I have not done any speedwork since before Boston, and I needed to do some, so this was a good excuse for it.

Put in my 30:29, and hoped for the best.  Turns out I would be running with today's run organizer, as that was his goal as well.  GREAAAT....

Paul went with a 31 something, so he went off a bit ahead of Dan and I.  We went off together.  Good strong pace, but still conversational.  We were able to hold a conversation for the first mile.  Got to the first mile in 6:01.  Holey moley, way fast!  Eased off the pace a little, but I started putting a bit of distance on him. 

Got near the turnaround and saw Paul ahead.  He made the u-turn, and we spoke briefly.  I made the turn, and suddenly he was really far away from me :)  He kicked at the turn.  A bit later, I caught him, we exchanged pleasantries, and I motored on.  He locked in behind me for a bit.  I just kept it nice and steady for the 2nd half.  Not familiar with the course, I couldn't remember when the final stretch was.  Fastest runner of the bunch (Tim Meigs, sub 3:00 Boston) came blazing past.  Checks over the shoulder showed that other fast runners were approaching.  Hammer time.  Kicked in about a 400m sprint at the end, and came in at 30:23, six seconds faster than my goal.  Held the rest off.

I was pleased with this run, and really had fun with it.  I really felt good the entire run, even entertained a brief stop at a water fountain at the 3-mile point, but kept on moving.  I look forward to doing this again in late July to see where I am at that point.

1 comment:

scottie said...

cheetah you are..I feel so slow