Motivation

Motivation

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Injured...for real this time

Well, it's been a roller-coaster over the past week. I felt like I was on top of the world last Sunday afternoon. Barely felt like I broke a sweat in the race (I did, mind you, but with temperatures in the 40s, it felt like I didn't). Felt great afterwards. Felt great Monday. Tuesday came, and I began to develop some discomfort in the right shin/ankle area. As the week progressed, the pain got worse, and the swelling came. By Saturday, I had tons of swelling, and it was killing me to stand. Took advantag of that Saturday night and got to lay on the couch with my feet propped up and enjoy a great movie (Australia) with my sweetie.

Went to the doctor yesterday, and she listened to my tale of woe. Checked out my leg, noticed the lump on the side (decided it was a vein being affected by the swelling), and we did x-rays. Nothing showed up on those, so she prescribed continued rest, no running, minimize walking, heat, 1500mg dose of NSAID per day, and flat-foot cycling if necessary. Advocated pull-buoy swimming, which I will do, and work on core strengthening during this time (she's a runner and triathlete, so understands that I'll be going crazy not being able to run or bike).

If not improving by Friday, I'm to check back with her and we'll go to the next stage; MRI, bonescan, etc., looking for something further.

White Lake Sprint is 5/3, and I'd at least like to run a couple of times before that, not to mention get back on the bike. I have a target to hit on the bike (faster than 2007 avg. speed of 22.4mph).

So, stay tuned gentle reader. At least the BQ is behind us, and we have 383 days to get better.
:)

No comments: