Motivation

Motivation

Monday, February 16, 2009

"Still running"

I'm over the hump now. Only 34 days until Shamrock, and I can feel my running form coming on. Beginning to feel like I did a few weeks out from Pinehurst, when the 10k practice was really taking shape. As these last few weeks proceed, I'll be backing down on the volume, ramping up the intensity a bit, and getting dialed in. I had probably my best long-run ever Sunday afternoon. 17 miles total, with 14 of those at marathon pace. Well, my goal marathon time is 3:15:59 (go figure?!), which is Boston-qualifying time. That means a 7:27 on race day.

Well, I have been training with that time in plain sight, but knowing that I really think there's a 3:10 in me at this point, so my target paces have been aligned to that time. Thus, yesterday, I did 2 miles of warmup (7:56, 7:20!), then let it roll for 14 miles. My slowest mile in those 14 was a 7:14; average pace for those 14 miles was a 7:07, and I feel that I could've made that 7:00 flat with just a little more effort. I can think of 2-3 minutes in that entire run that my breathing picked up, usually after taking a Gu or water.

Wrapped it up with an 8:20 cooldown mile, and called it a day. And a great day it was. Beautiful weather, perfect temps, slight breeze to keep me cool/simulate race day.

Here's how my next few weeks will look:
Monday-either off or an easy swim

Tuesday-am run, pm swim

Wednesday-am run, pm bike, pm swim

Thursday-long swim

Friday-am run, swim

Saturday-short run, bike

Sunday-long run

No comments: